Tuesday, October 16, 2007

a start


Work in Process (untitled thus far), acrylic wash on canvas (stretched over reclaimed stretcher bars found in alley near my old Chicago apt.)

I decided to start another painting last night; hopefully it'll become the first of a series of slightly distorted figures in awkward poses. I've been playing with the idea for while in my sketchbook, but decided to give it a go on a larger scale. A few of the poses I have in mind come from the posture and poses of students at my school. One student's odd tendency to arch his neck (at an impossible and painful looking angle) towards the hall clock while waiting for his lonely lunch hour to end struck me as an interesting (if sad) scene to paint; perhaps I'll work on that idea next. I guess hall duty does have some perks, people watching.

No comments: